Creature Hunt Guy's Collection Thread

Discuss the all the collectibles from rarest to latest!
CreatureHuntGuy offline

Re: Creature Hunt Guy's Collection Thread

by CreatureHuntGuy » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:58 pm

Hey guys! Well guess what? I'm possibly going to be able to attend G fest 2012 this year!!!! This would be my first ever g-fest, so I want to know what i should expect at the convention? I figured that since like every other godzilla fan has been at least once, I should show up. I also hope to get some good footage for my channel on youtube too. Oh, and just to make sure, it's only july 13-15 at rosemont hotel in IL, right?
GForever offline
Club Tokyo Username: gforever

by GForever » Mon Apr 16, 2012 5:28 pm

Cool! That's awesome! Hesei might be going this year. I'd check with him and maybe you guys can meet up. I am not 100% sure if I can make it this year but possibly next year. If they debut the Legendary Pictures trailer, that would be simply amazing. When I went to G-FEST 2000, I remember seeing the excitement of watching the G2000 trailer over and over with the crowd going crazy each time!! haha
<G-FoReVeR>
GFOREVER Ver 4.0
howze01 offline
Club Tokyo Username: howze01
Toho Kingdom Username: howze01

by howze01 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:25 pm

I would say expect to spend lots and lots of money!

My ever-evolving collection can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/howzes_pics/
CreatureHuntGuy offline

by CreatureHuntGuy » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:03 am

Yeah, I already have 100 bucks saved up! If the new movie trailer debuted that would be awesome. And now that I'm rebuilding my collection from scratch, it is a perfect time to go!
GForever offline

by GForever » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:32 pm

howze01 wrote:I would say expect to spend lots and lots of money!

Yes he's right. If you can easily spend hundreds to thousand dollars.

CreatureHuntGuy wrote:Yeah, I already have 100 bucks saved up! If the new movie trailer debuted that would be awesome. And now that I'm rebuilding my collection from scratch, it is a perfect time to go!

Start saving now, it'll be here before you know it. :)
<G-FoReVeR>
GFOREVER Ver 4.0
Hesei offline
Administrator

by Hesei » Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:41 pm

Grats on being able to go. Sadly, I will be missing out, again. Been 13 years, you'd think I would've found the time to go by now.

Far as I know, not a whole lot has been announced for this year's show.
Ghido-Goji offline
Club Tokyo Username: Ghido-Goji

by Ghido-Goji » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:50 am

CreatureHuntGuy wrote:Hey guys! Well guess what? I'm possibly going to be able to attend G fest 2012 this year!!!! This would be my first ever g-fest, so I want to know what i should expect at the convention?

Since you mentioned that you're going there for collecting, I would suggest to get down to the dealer's room line as soon as humanly possible because that line can stretch longer than you might think. The wait may be long but you can strike up some conversation with your fellow Godzilla fans. If you're not the social type, just bring a mp3 player or whatever suits you. I've found everyone to be very friendly so the time should fly by.

The dealers are usually stocked with plenty of items but you don't want to take the risk of the item you're looking for being bought by someone else because you didn't get down to the dealer's room soon enough. (Trust me, from experience) Some collectors just go into the dealer room for one item. You'll also find that, generally, most items are priced quite well and are less expensive than you'll find on eBay or other dealer websites. Feel free to ask a dealer if you can look at a figure at his/her table because most of them are very helpful and friendly.

Also, it might sound silly, but since you're rebuilding your collection from scratch, you might want to bring a list with the figures you intend to buy. Things can get kind of crazy in the dealer's room, especially when everyone first walks in (they usually limit the amount of people that go in at once), but a list will help you to not forget anything that you may want to specifically buy at the convention. I would also make sure you buy items that you don't see online very often. You don't want to buy common figures like for example, a Bandai 6" 1954 Godzilla or 6" Hedorah. I'm not sure what you're intending to buy, but I'd buy figures like the Bandai 8" 2003 Kiryu-Goji figure, Orga, Godzilla 2000, GMK King Ghidorah, Monster X, Kaiser Ghidorah, Baby Godzilla, Little Godzilla (especially this guy!), etc. that aren't very easy to find online. Also, check to see if you can find any bargains on figures like the 1992 Mothra Larva, which is extremely hard to find. I bought one at the 2010 G-Fest for $55, which is much less than I've ever seen it online.

Have a great time!
Hesei offline
Administrator

by Hesei » Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:38 am

Ghido-Goji wrote:Also, check to see if you can find any bargains on figures like the 1992 Mothra Larva, which is extremely hard to find. I bought one at the 2010 G-Fest for $55, which is much less than I've ever seen it online.

I think I paid $110 that same year through eBay...

I remember the wait to open the dealers' room being torturous. We could see heaven just inches away the whole time.
CreatureHuntGuy offline

by CreatureHuntGuy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:45 pm

Hey thanks for the helpful tips!

I am glad people sound normal and nice. I'm trying to be more social since that's not my strong suit :/

I am kind of overwhelmed because I don't know what I want. I mean going from 80+ figures to 11 you can imagine I have a whole lot of options!
But I want to get the ones I really like first; I am trying to compile some sort of list. Not to say I'll have enough for all of them, It's still ok to dream right?

What do you think?

Burning Godzilla (Movie monster series)
Mogera (Movie monster series)
King Seesar (Movie monster series)
Titianasaurus!!
Mechagodzilla '75!!!
Spacegodzilla (Movie monster series)
Godzilla '74
Megalon (Y-msf)
Varan (Y-msf)
Manda (Y-msf)
Godzilla 2000
Orga
Baragon '02
Kaiser Ghidorah
Monster X
Dagarah
Megaguirus
Gorosaurus?
Kumonga?
Kamacurus??
Ebirah???
BIOLLANTE????????

Ambitious, I know, but what is your advice on these?
Hesei offline
Administrator

by Hesei » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:22 pm

I think that's the issue with most of us, actually. You're in good company!

Think long and hard about Biollante. I really think the X-Plus figure is the pinnacle for Biollante, but the Bandai one is still enjoyable. There's a huge price difference, though. Bandai one will run you around $100 or so, higher for the box, while X-Plus will be closer to $600. To be honest, though, I don't see Biollante's price rising in the next year or so. Anyone else think I'm crazy on that? It's just so high-value already, most of what you're gonna find is collector's dumping them for cash. Any retailers still holding stock will want them gone. I just don't see it's price increasing any more for a while.

For your list, start working your ass off and save, save, save!

Ebirah - shoot for X-Plus. If not, the Marmit is a good substitute.

Kamacuras - go with Marusan FW version, I think? The Bandai just kinda looks broken no matter what I try. ~$80-120

Kumonga - I looooove the Marusan! ~$100 price

Gorosaurus - X-Plus, Bandai Museum, Bandai 92 in order of my love and expected value.

Megaguirus - is there much difference in price on the theater and blister versions, these days? Actually, you can pick up the whole blister pack for $100, I think.

Dagarah - box/blister from Bandai. Comes with an Aqua Mothra and some... crap... Neat figure, but I have little love for Mothra.

Monster X and Keizer - I don't know what these run these days. Not really keen on Keizer at all, so he would be at the bottom of the list for me. Monster X is a kinda neat figure.

Baragon 02 - love him! Go with the classic and skip on the theater and event variants. Very nice and inexpensive figure.

Orga and G2k - if you can afford the, I'd go for the battle-sound set. But the Bandais are also good. The Albatross Orga polystone is actually pretty cool, too.

Y-MSF - I think Tempting Toyz is always there, so between them and all the other guys, you shouldn't have trouble finding them. Tony will likely have higher prices, though. Just a heads up.

Spacegodzilla (Movie monster series) - *cough* 10" Trendmasters *cough* Okay, okay. The original SpaceG repaint might be a little harder to find, but shouldn't be killer in cost.

Godzilla '74, Titianasaurus, and Mechagodzilla '75 - Nice set, but likely a little more expensive. Keep an eye out for the Toy's Dream box set. Titano has a better paint job and G is in there, too. Mechagodzilla should be found in bulk, but I imagine he'll be above $50. Am I way the hell off on that?

Mogera and King Seesar (Movie monster series) - Good luck. These were the last two of the MM series I was able to find, and that was just last year! Best paint jobs of the lot, so they run between $65 and $100 each.

Burning G (MM) - I think this is a good choice. Shouldn't be too expensive and is a great figure. The original 8" is neat, but the orange is dull by comparison. If you can find and afford it, the 8" Meltdown is a great choice, as well.

As a bigger collector, I gotta tell ya, don't get too attached to boxes. This is heresy, but I'm so sick of the damn boxes! You'll save space and money if you throw off that chain.

Your biggest enemy will be the X-Plus stuff. It's so freaking awesome! But otherwise, I think finding your Bandais is very possible, even on a small budget. And if not, some of the 8" variants occasionally go for less than the 6" ones! If tags aren't a priority, things should go even better. If you can pull together $500, I think you'll be very, very happy. Even still, $300 would be a great haul. Kinda hope the Legendary movie doesn't get a date before I can attend another G-Fest to keep prices low. Though, I think a G-Fest with a new American film just out or coming up would be a glorious convention, indeed.
CreatureHuntGuy offline

by CreatureHuntGuy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:43 pm

Thanks!

I wish I'd known about X-plus when I began getting godzilla figures. Back then all I knew was Bandai so I naturally gravitate towards that. But X-plus-man!- they're pretty cool! I didn't know how many diferent monsters plus godzillas they made! But I don't think I could do that very well.

But I do hope to greatly increase my 6-inch Godzilla and others this summer. I know most people go for the originals or the standards, but I've always had a thing for the smaller guys. Maybe, once again, it's because of my up-bringing; I started off with the GOdzilla Island and later Movie monsters and have been near and dear to my heart ever since.

But I also hope to find those ymsf's and other standard that don't come in 6 inch.
CreatureHuntGuy offline

by CreatureHuntGuy » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:37 pm

Speaking of figure---

I know I'm saving money now, but this guy came before I knew I was going to gfest.

I have always wanted to get this guy, he's pretty neat.
Attachments

DSC00067.JPG - (46.38 KiB) - Viewed 1515 times

DSC00067.JPG
And here's two major heisei villians
DSC00067.JPG (46.38 KiB) Viewed 1515 times

DSC00066.JPG - (24.25 KiB) - Viewed 1515 times

DSC00066.JPG
Mechagodzilla 2
DSC00066.JPG (24.25 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
Ghido-Goji offline
Club Tokyo Username: Ghido-Goji

by Ghido-Goji » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:30 am

I would definitely go for the Y-MSF figures when you can find them because many of them were made in very limited quantity, and as a result, are pretty difficult to find. The Y-MSF figures also fit in very well with the 6-inch Bandai Godzilla series. For example, their version of Megalon fits in quite well with the other 6-inch figures and Bandai hasn't made one in that scale. You should also look at the Y-MSF version of Gabara because that particular figure is very difficult to find, and for the first time in years, I've seen it on Tempting Toys' website, so it's highly likely that he'll have it at this year's G-Fest. You should be able to buy a few Y-MSF figures and still have those be within the same price range ($35-$50) of some of the more uncommon Bandai figures.

Since you mentioned X-Plus will be a problem, and after observing the list you posted, I would go after the first 7 Bandai figures you listed and the three Y-MSF figures. If you have the money to spare after buying those figures, I would go for the Bandai Kamacurus over the other figures you mentioned. I say that because I had been looking for a Kamacurus for around 3 or 4 years and had no luck until one appeared about a year ago. Also, as Hesei mentioned, if you're not necessarily going for figures with tags, you'll most likely find them a lot easier, and for a lot less money. Depending on the rarity of the figure, and the dealer, a tagless example can go for $20 less.

Speaking of prices, this is a picture of what $500 can buy you at G-Fest:

CreatureHuntGuy offline

by CreatureHuntGuy » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:18 am

Dude, that's sweeT!!
howze01 offline
Club Tokyo Username: howze01
Toho Kingdom Username: howze01

by howze01 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:28 pm

That Hyper Hobby GMK is still one of my favorites. Him and the Crystal GMK that is.

My ever-evolving collection can be seen here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/howzes_pics/
CreatureHuntGuy offline

by CreatureHuntGuy » Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:55 pm

I'll just be happy to get a G '01 ! I really like that design, but I'm not sure why......

Speaking of Godzilla suits;

What do you think my chances of finding memorial box godzilla figures being sold seperatly at Gfest?
I don't really care about some of the repaints in it, but I would really dig finding:

Godzilla 55
Godzilla 62
Godzilla 64
Godzilla 65
Godzilla 67
Fake Godzilla? (maybe)
Godzilla 75
Godzilla 84
Heisei Rodan

What do you think?
GForever offline

by GForever » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:16 am

CreatureHuntGuy wrote:I'll just be happy to get a G '01 ! I really like that design, but I'm not sure why......

Speaking of Godzilla suits;

What do you think my chances of finding memorial box godzilla figures being sold seperatly at Gfest?
I don't really care about some of the repaints in it, but I would really dig finding:

Godzilla 55
Godzilla 62
Godzilla 64
Godzilla 65
Godzilla 67
Fake Godzilla? (maybe)
Godzilla 75
Godzilla 84
Heisei Rodan

What do you think?

You listed 1/2 the box but I'm sure you will find some of these being sold individually. If you decide on collecting the whole box though, cost wise would probably work out better for you than getting them individually. One suggestion though, at the end of the day is where you can get the best deals at the dealer tables (especially the last day). The less stuff they bring back, they will be happy.
<G-FoReVeR>
GFOREVER Ver 4.0
CreatureHuntGuy offline

by CreatureHuntGuy » Mon May 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Hey guys! Nothing new, just showing off all the guys together!
Man it's hard building a collection from scratch! But it does make dusting easier >:)
Anyways, hear's some new shots!
Attachments

DSC00089.JPG - (34.13 KiB) - Viewed 1466 times

DSC00089.JPG
DSC00089.JPG (34.13 KiB) Viewed 1466 times

DSC00088.JPG - (28.37 KiB) - Viewed 1466 times

DSC00088.JPG
DSC00088.JPG (28.37 KiB) Viewed 1466 times

DSC00087.JPG - (37.27 KiB) - Viewed 1466 times

DSC00087.JPG
DSC00087.JPG (37.27 KiB) Viewed 1466 times

DSC00086.JPG - (42 KiB) - Viewed 1466 times

DSC00086.JPG
DSC00086.JPG (42 KiB) Viewed 1466 times

DSC00085.JPG - (29.79 KiB) - Viewed 1466 times

DSC00085.JPG
DSC00085.JPG (29.79 KiB) Viewed 1466 times
CreatureHuntGuy offline

by CreatureHuntGuy » Thu May 10, 2012 11:00 pm

Yeah, yeah, I know....but still....! It's soooo hard saving money, especially when it comes to one of my favorite monsters! This is the standard Final Wars Rodan, which I've always kind of liked. For some reason people don't like the final wars look of the monsters. Personally though, I don't have a problem with them escpecially when it comes to Rodan. It's weird he was released as a standard, because he seems to fit in perfect with the 6 inch series. Anyway, here he is!!
Attachments

DSC00090.JPG - (33.23 KiB) - Viewed 1458 times

DSC00090.JPG
DSC00090.JPG (33.23 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
CreatureHuntGuy offline

by CreatureHuntGuy » Fri May 18, 2012 6:13 pm

Hey Guys!

My latest bandai guy came!

I love this figure and the version of godzilla too. One of my favs for sure.

I know the figure is nothing special but I just had to get it and I'm glad i did. Whadya think?
Attachments

DSC00091.JPG - (32.52 KiB) - Viewed 1445 times

DSC00091.JPG
DSC00091.JPG (32.52 KiB) Viewed 1445 times