Something I am noticing

Discuss the all the collectibles from rarest to latest!
Godzilla91 offline

Something I am noticing

by Godzilla91 » Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:08 pm

There is something I am noticing and I want to get fellow G-fans opinions on this.

My boss's grandson was playing with a Godzilla toy and a Transformer toy the other day so that inspired me to write this.

Walking through the toy aisle of places like Target and Walmart the only action figures toys I really see are Star Wars, Transformers, Marvel/DC. It seems like kids have the different variety of (Superhero, Robot, Aliens) but there is one thing missing..... Giant monsters/dinosaurs. Those are the only things missing in the toy sections and I think the one that would fill that in perfectly is Godzilla. Why because most kids imaginations they have aliens, superheroes and giant robots but they are missing the giant monsters/dinosaurs that go with them. Kids love that kind of thing and its a popular genre still. Why doesnt Bandai USA really try to jump on that? Yes they have them at Toys R Us but why not other places like Target and Walmart?

With IDW having a great run with their Godzilla comics and the new American Godzilla movie coming out in probably 2014 you would think Bandai USA would really try to get the ball rolling with their Godzilla merchandise. Kids would have Godzilla toys battle Marvel heroes and Transformers and Star Wars aliens. Thats how i did it as a kid and im sure most kids would do the same. Parents know about Godzilla and that would help their kids get into it.

Godzilla is a big name franchise that everyone knows about. Godzilla toys would sell well if people had more access to them.

What do you guys think though? Do you agree or disagree with me? Is Godzilla missing in stores with these other toy lines?
Hesei offline
Administrator

Re: Something I am noticing

by Hesei » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:04 am

I very much agree! ToysRUs and KB are pretty limited these days. The king even in the days of Trendmasters has always been Wal-Mart. They can often dictate whether a line lives or dies. I don't believe Bandai Creation hasn't pursued Wal-Mart, but that WM's execs haven't been keen to buy in. The line has to be making some money to have lived this long and even expanded. I wonder if the price point is too high for WM, though.

I recall a few people mentioning seeing them at Wal-Mart way back in the days of waves 1 and 2, but I'd never seen it myself. My guess is that if they really were there, they were run as a trial, and they didn't do too well.

However, with all the recent buzz, it may not be too long before we start seeing them elsewhere. Pacific Rim will likely have a few merchandise deals... the movie is practically begging for one, so maybe that will convince other big box stores to try Godzilla, again.
Crimson_Raptor offline

by Crimson_Raptor » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:17 pm

Hesei wrote:The king even in the days of Trendmasters has always been Wal-Mart. They can often dictate whether a line lives or dies....I recall a few people mentioning seeing them at Wal-Mart way back in the days of waves 1 and 2, but I'd never seen it myself. My guess is that if they really were there, they were run as a trial, and they didn't do too well.

I'm not for sure Wal-Mart had that much clout, at the time. Kmart seemed to be the one leading the charge when came to Trendmasters King of the Monsters and Godzilla Wars line. It wasn't until the '98 Zilla movie came out that Wal-Mart finally picked up the ball as Kmart started their downward spiral.

Hesei wrote:I don't believe Bandai Creation hasn't pursued Wal-Mart, but that WM's execs haven't been keen to buy in. The line has to be making some money to have lived this long and even expanded.

Therein lies the truth. Bandai Creation is making money, so why ask Wal Mart who will simply sell them at the same price while asking for a lower buying price closer to production cost.

Hesei wrote:I wonder if the price point is too high for WM, though.

Seeing as how they off $15 Transformer figures that aren't worth $15, I don't see how they couldn't attempt to sell some of the Big G. Then again, Bandai is a savy business-type.

I would venture a lot of it has to do with shelf space, as always. Why the MARS Robots are still around is anyone's guess, but a 3 Godzilla figure, side by side, planogram would not take up any more than they do.

Hesei wrote:However, with all the recent buzz, it may not be too long before we start seeing them elsewhere....

With only one monster confirmed in the film, Godzilla himself, will we not see a repeat of the '98 Zilla Trendmaster shelfwarmers?

Like a young wise man once said in a little known movie... I don't think you've got enough monsters. Kids'll want to play with them. You need some more.
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."
Hesei offline
Administrator

by Hesei » Sat Aug 11, 2012 2:00 pm

You're right abot Wal-Mart's rise around 98. But I guess Wal-Mart is more aggressive about what they want from their suppliers than KMart was.

I don't think you'll see a whole lot of the same figure over and over, like with the 98 movie. Funny enough, the 98 toys were very profitable for TM, even if that wasn't true for retailers. I imagine you would see something similar to what's going on now. You'll see 1 or 2 of the new G in different scales along with the classic crew.
It appears as though TM was actually going to do something similar with a "Godzilla Origins" line. Boxart had the infamous GINO eye on it. Looks like they were going to sell Doom Island that way. I have no idea whatever happened to it, though. Closed down in-house, I guess.
Godzilla91 offline

by Godzilla91 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:41 am

Here are some more things im seeing to go with this.....

Im really seeing now that Godzilla merchandise has really started to pick up here in America at least since the new movie was announced. When I was at my comic shop today I was looking through their catalog that they order stuff from and I saw quite a few pieces of Godzilla merch in there. There was IDW comics, Bandai USA, SH MonsterArts and new Godzilla t-shirts. It was like that in their July catalog too.

New Godzilla t-shirts are starting to come out more frequently. MonsterArts has Burning Godzilla and Godzilla Jr coming out this year. IDW comics are selling well too. Bandai USA Fusion series 2 is out now.

Actually ive seen people post on other forums that the new Bandai USA Fusion Godzilla figures are being sold in both Toys R Us and Kmart so that is good to hear. I wish they would sell them at Target.

So right now we are able to pick up Godzilla merchandise at most places that sell DVDs, Toys R Us, Kmart, Book stores and Comic book stores.

Im not sure if anyone has been able to find any Godzilla t-shirts being sold at shops like Hot Topic etc.

But notice how Godzilla stuff is growing even more now here in America.

Whether Bandai USA continues their toy line or not remains to be seen. I wish they would remain consistent though and put out a few new things. Do we have a way of contacting them? Let them know we would like their Godzilla toys to be more consistent.

If we can get a constant Godzilla toy line (even if they just come out in Toys R Us and Kmart) that would really be huge I think.
Hesei offline
Administrator

by Hesei » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:13 pm

Actually, KMart has been selling BC since the start. It's just been hit or miss at your local store because... KMart sucks.

It has been an interesting trend, seeing more Godzilla stuff around perennially. And for BC to last this long, that's a real shock.
Makes me wonder if G will wind up being around perpetually, like Star Wars :mrgreen:
Godzilla91 offline

by Godzilla91 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:01 am

Hesei wrote:Makes me wonder if G will wind up being around perpetually, like Star Wars :mrgreen:

YES!!!!!!!!!! Do you know how long I have been saying that? Most of the fans (at least on TK) seem to disagree but i think there is truth to it! Especially is the new Legendary Pictures Godzilla turns out to be a massive hit!

Ive always said Godzilla can compare to a lot of American movie franchises.

Impact Merchandising is producing more Godzilla apparel frequently now.

I just hope Bandai USA continues their Godzilla line. Is there any way we can contact them to ask them if they plan to continue their Godzilla line?
GForever offline
Club Tokyo Username: gforever

by GForever » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:17 am

Yea I've been seeing many places carrying Godzilla apparel such as Newbury Comics, local comic shops, and apparently Godzilla shirts can even be bought at tourist places like Cape Cod. My folks picked some up while they were there. And a few years ago, there were a ton of Godzilla T-shirts at Epcot in Disney World.

KB toys (before going out of biz), ToysRus, and now KMart carry the Bandai USA toys. I even found some at a CVS!!!!

I'm sure as we get closer to Legendary Pictures movie, there will be a lot more Godzilla merchandise available similar to 1998. Hopefully it'll go viral similar to the "Size Does Matter" campaign but this time steer away from that slogan and use something from G2000, "His Battles Are Legendary" or "His Return Is Near".
<G-FoReVeR>
GFOREVER Ver 4.0
one shot offline

by one shot » Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:07 pm

Shelf space is premium. The major retailers have great business relationships with all the toy manufacturers, in fact Toy Fair will be taking place soon in New York (February I think?) and that is when all the toy manufacturers will have there 2013 offerings up for the buyers and retailers to look and choose from. All the big guns will be there from Transformers, Star Wars , Lego , Monster High dolls etc.... But do you know if Godzilla will be represented as an offering? that we don't know right? How are the retailers supposed to choose Godzilla stuff if nothing is being shown for purchase? The buyers for all your major retailers attend Toy Fair each year looking for items they want to be in their stores. Also with big purchases from the major retailers comes "exclusives" which is a whole other beast in itself. Exclusives come from the toy manufacturers who offer retailers specific figures or toys that are slightly different from the regular release. It drives traffic to that particular store to obtain their exclusive. I wish somebody like MEZCO maybe got the TOHO license or something, I feel they would do all the core characters form TOHO in that special stylized way they do their figures. Godzilla is huge brand that's for sure, but there's a lot that needs to happen before we see them on the shelves anytime soon....on the shelves with relevance that is. The stuff at TRU is nice, but it gets no shelf presence...it's on an end cap on the bottom shelf. It needs to show it can sell at "eye level" to catch the toy industry by surprise, that is when we will see more and more lines form Godzilla continue. www.oneshotsworld.com visit the kaiju Korner!
fbwash offline
Toho Kingdom Username: fbwash

by fbwash » Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:02 pm

As an artist who loves the giant robot and kaiju genre. The issue I see is that the G- Fandom which numbers in the thousands ( a rough guesstimate) doesn't seem as enthsuiatic as say the comic book or sci-fi fandom.
My point is how GFans seem only interested in toys and I suppose the IDW comic books which are probably breaking even. But there's no real strong interest in Original Art, Apparel, Games etc. For an IP to be really successful there has to an overwhelming desire from the consumer to in my opinion consume any and everything associated with the IP.

I remember over the holidays that Matt Frank posted some of his pages from the IDW Godzilla and I'm not sure he sold much of them. I myself have tried with a lot of vigor to promote the idea of a card set featuring Big G and the other kaiju and the response has been moderate.

I just think personally that the appeal of Godzilla CAN'T just stop at toys or comics.
The support has to be for all representations of the IP.
From the convention sketch to the poster to the apparel, video game and eventually to the cinema.

If it's not all there then you most likely will not see an G-Merchandises popping up on retailer shelves anytime soon.

Thanks for posting an interesting thread :biggrin: