Trendmasters Doom Island

Discuss the all the collectibles from rarest to latest!
Hesei offline
Administrator

Trendmasters Doom Island

by Hesei » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:06 pm

Well, I picked up quite a haul, recently. Before you ask, this stuff is either in my own collection or has already been sold for the most part. I am trying to get more and will report if and when I do. So please don't bog me down with messages, just yet.
And as to why I separated this topic, I feel that the Trendmasters Doom Island line is interesting enough to stand on its own.

So there are a number of interesting finds, here. The most unusual to me being the green Godzilla and Mecha King Ghidorah Armor re-issues. I had never caught a glimpse of these until a few weeks ago. They even surprised a few folks from Trensmasters, as well. There's nothing altogether different about these figures from their Godzilla Wars counterparts in regards to the armor. Same armor with the same color. What isn't attached to them comes in a bag under the figure's cardboard platform. The figures have the updated Doom Island paint schemes. MKGhidorah appears to be the same as what's sold in the dino-pack, but unlike those sets, this Godzilla isn't "supercharged." My guess is that there is a supercharged version out there, but I have no way of verifying that. They sold both green and black Godzillas throughout their product lines and for both the six and ten inch variants in Doom Island. Then again, this is in the same scale... BAH! I don't know! For now, it looks as though the green and black Godzillas in this scale were sold in two different packages, exclusively.

The Anguirus and Kumonga figures are probably much more interesting to everyone, though. Unfortunately, the clear plastic used to hold the armor in place while in package has aged, but the figures are still spectacular! They still look brand new, which is amazing since they've been stuffed away in some dank warehouse for all these years. You've probably seen the shots over on Club Tokyo already, but this Anguirus has a full shell on his back. It still tapers off to a point, but much lower on his body than either his four or one inch counterparts. Since this Angy is on all fours, I think it works out well, but it still would have been great to see a larger representation of the half-shell.
Took some comparison photos where you can see a completely different paint scheme! Wow! That changed a lot between Godzilla Wars and Doom Island. I'll need to look through my docs to see what was going on here. Kind of crazy that they would make an Anguirus with the GWars theme.

Kumonga is a piece of work. I would have loved to see the legs have x-axial movement, or at least more spread like the catalog picture, but he's still well-done.
Oh yeah! He also stands! How cool is that?! Kumonga can stand all on his own in the retail version. Pretty cool improvement, there.
I took some pics of him alongside my test shot. You can see a number of differences, not just in paint. Interestingly, both the Anguirus and Kumonga test shot armor is painted to follow the Doom Island scheme. Too bad they dropped that, but I guess it was just too much trouble.
Just too bad there doesn't seem to be a card for him.

That's another thing: the cards here are completely random. The fact that one of the Godzillas has a Doom Island Godzilla card was probably an accident. This happened a lot more toward the end of the Godzilla Wars line. I wonder if they just decided to stop paying attention just to save time or clear stock. That said, the cards are reprinted with the Doom Island logo. At least, Godzilla and Spacegodzilla got new ones.

The 10" Godzillas were another shocker. I had been lucky enough to nab a 10" Biollante in a Doom Island box all the way back in 2006, but had never seen another in box, since. And even then, the only 10" Doom Island figures I had seen were those shown in the catalog and the Tomart's Toy Fair photos. I didn't think the Godzillas ever made it into production.
Which brings me to my next idea: I don't know that these were ever sold to a retailer. Instead, I think these were prepared as tests of the assembly line, or perhaps an early order that fell through. The wire ties are not all very well done, and none of the figures have had their character stickers added. So every monster is labeled as Godzilla. At the end of the GWars line, Trendmasters just printed all the 10" boxes as Godzilla and covered over that with a sticker of the correct monster. Probably easier when ordering the packaging and inserting the figures. Trendmasters also used stickers to cover up mistakes, but I'm not aware of them being needed for any of the Godzilla lines.
Of course, that's all still guesswork. The biggest problem is that we can't seem to verify if any Doom Island stuff made it into American stores. Anybody out there work at ToysRUs in 1997? Heh
Attachments

DoomIslandHaul.jpg - (486.9 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

DoomIslandHaul.jpg
Oh, this was fun!

TMdiArmoredGodzillaGreen-box.jpg - (251.8 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

TMdiArmoredGodzillaGreen-box.jpg
Boxes were not in the best condition, but not terrible. The figures are spectacular, though!

TMdiArmoredAnguiruseen-box.jpg - (274.6 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

TMdiArmoredAnguiruseen-box.jpg

TMdiArmorKumongaPkg.jpg - (253.28 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

TMdiArmorKumongaPkg.jpg

TMdiArmoredMKGhidorah-box.jpg - (213.38 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

TMdiArmoredMKGhidorah-box.jpg

DoomIslandArmorBox-left.jpg - (274.77 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

DoomIslandArmorBox-left.jpg

DoomIslandArmorBox-right.jpg - (310.33 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

DoomIslandArmorBox-right.jpg

DoomIslandArmorBox-back.jpg - (284.47 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

DoomIslandArmorBox-back.jpg

DoomIslandArmorBox-bottom.jpg - (237.02 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

DoomIslandArmorBox-bottom.jpg
Wait, where's Ebirah? He's on the carded figures only?! Was Ebirah going to be a six inch figure?

TMdiArmoredGodzillaGreenIB.jpg - (224 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

TMdiArmoredGodzillaGreenIB.jpg

TMdiArmoredGodzillaGreen-pkg.jpg - (304.12 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

TMdiArmoredGodzillaGreen-pkg.jpg

TMdiArmoredGodzillaGreen.jpg - (226.94 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

TMdiArmoredGodzillaGreen.jpg

TMdiArmoredMKGhidorah-IP.jpg - (256.86 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

TMdiArmoredMKGhidorah-IP.jpg

TMdiArmoredMKGhidorah-top.jpg - (159.69 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

TMdiArmoredMKGhidorah-top.jpg

TMdiArmoredAnguirusIB.jpg - (182.36 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

TMdiArmoredAnguirusIB.jpg

TMdiArmoredAnguirusWrapped.jpg - (135.47 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

TMdiArmoredAnguirusWrapped.jpg

AnguirusComparisonProtoLeft.jpg - (173.1 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

AnguirusComparisonProtoLeft.jpg

AnguirusComparisonProtoLeft2.jpg - (186.08 KiB) - Viewed 5174 times

AnguirusComparisonProtoLeft2.jpg
Hesei offline
Administrator

Re: Trendmasters Doom Island

by Hesei » Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:08 pm

Some Kumonga comparison shots. That's it for now. I'll take some photos of the 10" figures over the weekend. Enjoy!
Attachments

TMdiArmorKumongaIB.jpg - (171.6 KiB) - Viewed 5173 times

TMdiArmorKumongaIB.jpg

KumongaComparisonProtoLeft.jpg - (192.35 KiB) - Viewed 5173 times

KumongaComparisonProtoLeft.jpg

KumongaComparisonProtoLeft2.jpg - (50.35 KiB) - Viewed 5173 times

KumongaComparisonProtoLeft2.jpg

KumongaComparisonProtoLeft3.jpg - (122.72 KiB) - Viewed 5173 times

KumongaComparisonProtoLeft3.jpg

KumongaComparisonProtoBottom.jpg - (264.28 KiB) - Viewed 5173 times

KumongaComparisonProtoBottom.jpg
GodzillavsGamera offline
Toho Kingdom Username: GodzillavsGamera

by GodzillavsGamera » Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:55 am

That's really a great find you discovered. If or when you would be willing to part with a few let me know. Ok? Thanks
Hesei offline
Administrator

by Hesei » Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:25 pm

I am letting most of it go, but I did keep a set for myself :wink:. Take a look over on the Club Tokyo boards for pricing. All I have left of the really rare stuff are Kumongas and Armor Godzillas. Sorry, but I had a closed sale before posting that. There were a lot of folks I had been dealing with that were looking already.
Otherwise, send a PM and we'll talk it out :smile:

And welcome to the forum!
Hesei offline
Administrator

by Hesei » Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:22 pm

Well, I did get a couple requests for more pics and info from outside the site... still trying to rebuild, so whatever. Here are a few more images of figures in their armor along with a couple more Anguirus comparisons.

The tank on Anguirus has folding treads. It's held together with little plastic pin-hole joints and locking tabs. It works pretty well. I had issues with one side, but I finally got it in place. Oddly, it comes with two of those drill pieces. You can see one of them on the front. Not sure what the other one is for. I think it might be to attach to the end of his tail, then the armor piece would fit over that, but I can't get the tail tip out.

Had a few more discussions, and word is that these armor and 10" figures were not ready for retail. They were close, but my contacts don't think that these would be sold without the proper title stickers and cards. Cards are up for debate, as they screwed up a lot in the later years, but I'll agree with the name stickies.

Sorry I haven't put up pictures of the 10" figures, yet. I'm expecting a box of stuff tomorrow that I want to include with the post. Not another wave. Just some other figures I picked off a friend. More, tomorrow!
Attachments

DSC_4802.jpg - (126.64 KiB) - Viewed 5057 times

DSC_4802.jpg

DSC_4800.jpg - (270.71 KiB) - Viewed 5057 times

DSC_4800.jpg
Anguiri? We need a word, here.

DSC_5018.jpg - (227.43 KiB) - Viewed 5057 times

DSC_5018.jpg

DSC_5007.jpg - (84.05 KiB) - Viewed 5057 times

DSC_5007.jpg
Kumonga with his fang missile. It extends all the way through to the back of his abdomen.

DSC_5010.jpg - (129.32 KiB) - Viewed 5057 times

DSC_5010.jpg
The little turret over the cephalothorax spins freely... irritatingly so. Very loose.
Trendmasters offline
Club Tokyo Username: Trendmasters

by Trendmasters » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:41 pm

Very nice stuff!!

Speaking of Doom Island and their unreleased figures, did you know there is a beautiful Doom Island Unreleased 6" MegaMutation Destroyah on eBay right now??!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 1161938138
Hesei offline
Administrator

by Hesei » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:06 pm

:sweat:
Shameless, lol! Thanks for the heads up, though.

My big surprise came in, today. Ready for a Doom Island 10" Spacegodzilla? Well, I got one of the hand-painted pieces shown at Toy Fair! Whoohoo!

So first off is my favorite, SpaceG! This guy is glorious! I just love how the wash brings out the color and detail. He's just a repainted figure, so he works just fine. Looks like they had to take apart the fin assembly to paint him up. I had to re-glue some of the parts that were coming apart. Had to find a new screw as well. It gave me a chance to replace his batteries, though. That roar still rocks!

Godzilla also got fresh batteries. I forgot just how powerful he sounds! He's also a Godzilla Wars figure, so the plastic is that dark green we all know. But they did try to lighten him up a bit. That bright green (or something close to it) is present in some of the screw holes, but isn't as prominent as his final counterpart, as you can plainly see. It looks like they brightened him up, then painted back over that and added the black wash. I guess they couldn't get him to look right? They had already sort of established the new bright green color they were shooting for, so I'm guessing they just couldn't get it working just right on this guy? Not so sure.
The final 10" Doom Island Godzilla is molded in that bright green color, with the wash added over top. It makes me wonder what the final Spacegodzilla was going to look like. Then again, they went much darker on the 6" figure, so maybe the 10" also would have been darker?

So, that's my big surprise for Monday. Not a whole lot more to show for now. I'll upload some more images through the week.
Attachments

DSC_5044.jpg - (179.36 KiB) - Viewed 5033 times

DSC_5044.jpg
Toy Fair piece on right

DSC_5032.jpg - (203.52 KiB) - Viewed 5033 times

DSC_5032.jpg
Toy Fair piece on right

DoomIsland-ToyFairOnLeft.jpg - (143.68 KiB) - Viewed 5033 times

DoomIsland-ToyFairOnLeft.jpg
Toy Fair pieces on left
Trendmasters offline

by Trendmasters » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Wow, look at you!! Nice score indeed. And those Toy Fair pieces, sweet!! Are they both RESIN or plastic BTW, you didn't mention... shame on you, Ha!!
Hesei offline
Administrator

by Hesei » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:28 pm

Ha! Sorry. I wasn't sure when it would happen, but when it did, I wanted it to be a surprise.

They are both plastic. Like I said, these are repainted Godzilla Wars pieces.
Crimson_Raptor offline

by Crimson_Raptor » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:31 am

Hesei wrote:Well, I picked up quite a haul, recently. Before you ask, this stuff is either in my own collection or has already been sold for the most part.

The only one I would have wanted was Anguirus, but I'm disappointed it is in the "dirty" Doom Island paint scheme. Nice to know he copares up to one of my favorite lines Trendmasters created, the Power-Up Series.

My second choice would, of course, be a 10"Biollante. Again, Biollante too, has "dirty" Doom paint. I think I like the 10" Godzilla Wars Biollante in the bright green and red which looks much better. Kumonga doesn't interest me at all, other than it being a very nice figure and is a original perspective on the monster spider. Again, awesome he matches up to the Power-Up Series.
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."
Hesei offline
Administrator

by Hesei » Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:16 pm

Really? I love the dirty black wash they applied to these. It was a conscious decision from the top, to compete with McFarlane's Spawn line. Figures were all super-detailed, with excellent paint schemes to further bring out their personality.

I think Biollante is hurt more by her overall design more than her paint. The 6" version has a girth to it that just works well. This 10" variant is too slender, short, and has a funky crest. I still haven't found out the logic behind her changes. I suppose I understand the height - allow her to fit in the box with the arms. However, the sensor placement really hurts the figure, terribly.
I used to think the figure shown on CT was for Godzilla Wars, but she has the Doom Island paint scheme. However, seeing Angy has a Godzilla Wars test shot, I wonder if there was a Biollante test with the GWars paint. I have yet to see or hear of one, though.
Hesei offline
Administrator

by Hesei » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:24 pm

Got a request for comparisons of the Doom Island and Godzilla Wars cards for Spacegodzilla. The back of the cards are almost identical except for the top-right corner. On the Godzilla Wars card, the card number is displayed inside an orb as "no. 1". However, the Doom Island cards are not numbered, and the black gradient in the corner is much lighter and not as smooth.

There is a major difference on the Doom Island Supercharged Godzilla card I have. Instead of the info and stats, it's just the Doom Island logo. Not sure what was going on here. Anyone else have a Supercharged G card from Doom Island? Is it the same or different?
This isn't a prototype or anything. I got this from one of the packaged 6" figures. It's the only one I have like this.
Attachments

SpacegodzillaCardComparisons.jpg - (281.88 KiB) - Viewed 4851 times

SpacegodzillaCardComparisons.jpg

DISuperchargedGodzillaCardBack.jpg - (115.64 KiB) - Viewed 4851 times

DISuperchargedGodzillaCardBack.jpg
Trendmasters offline

by Trendmasters » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:48 pm

With all this talk going around about all these new & exciting Doom Island figures, I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to share my news... as I had a little surprise show up here on Christmas Eve, and it fits in with all these other Doom Island conversations. I was very lucky to have picked up another of the Unpainted Unreleased Giant Size (11") Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutation Prototypes!! Love these Test Shots. Such a cool figure with an equally as cool concept, which I consider to be a brilliant original design on these figures.

I have all of the 4 Doom Island MegaMutation figures now, in the 5" and 11" size and 2 of these 11" Giant Godzilla figures. Awesome is how I'd describe these in one word!! I'll be posting a series of pics I just took of these 3 figures, first beginning with the final prototype version of the 5" MegaMutation Godzilla, as shown here.
Attachments

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutation 6 inch.jpg - (125.93 KiB) - Viewed 4798 times

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutation 6 inch.jpg

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutation 6 inch1.jpg - (113.24 KiB) - Viewed 4798 times

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutation 6 inch1.jpg

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutation 6 inch2.jpg - (123.55 KiB) - Viewed 4798 times

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutation 6 inch2.jpg

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutation 6 inch3.jpg - (113.64 KiB) - Viewed 4798 times

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutation 6 inch3.jpg

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutation 6 inch4.jpg - (121.01 KiB) - Viewed 4798 times

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutation 6 inch4.jpg
Trendmasters offline

by Trendmasters » Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:16 am

Now here's some pics of the Unreleased 11" Giant Sized MegaMutation Godzilla Prototypes. These are fantastic and very *BIG* figures!! Honestly, it's a real shame these didn't make it to the store shelves, because I personally just think it's a completely different approach and extremely original concept for this line of Doom Island figures. For the most part, these figures are pretty much identical... When I received the unpainted one on the left side on Christmas Eve, I realized it was devoid of the mouth missile, which was a shame not to be included here. However, lucky for me, I actually had a spare unpainted missile from the partially painted one on the right.

There is one real significant but subtle difference I noticed on these 2 figures, and it's the placement of the secondary blades / spikes on the shoulders. The Godzilla on the left has these blades attached on the outside of the base blade, but the one on the right side, has them attached on the inside of the base blade?? Since the 5" MegaMute Godzilla is more or less a Final Production Prototype, and it too has these blades attached on the inside of the base blades, I suspect this was how they would have looked, had they gone into production.
Attachments

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMute Godzilla 11 inch.jpg - (152.71 KiB) - Viewed 4798 times

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMute Godzilla 11 inch.jpg

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMute Godzilla 11 inch2.jpg - (160.12 KiB) - Viewed 4798 times

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMute Godzilla 11 inch2.jpg

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMute Godzilla 11 inch3.jpg - (136.45 KiB) - Viewed 4798 times

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMute Godzilla 11 inch3.jpg

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMute Godzilla 11 inch4.jpg - (120.82 KiB) - Viewed 4798 times

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMute Godzilla 11 inch4.jpg

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMute Godzilla 11 inch5.jpg - (146.24 KiB) - Viewed 4798 times

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMute Godzilla 11 inch5.jpg

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMute Godzilla Collection.jpg - (165.88 KiB) - Viewed 4798 times

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMute Godzilla Collection.jpg
Trendmasters offline

by Trendmasters » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:39 pm

With Christmas already come & gone now, I figured I might as well post 2 shots of my incomplete "Christmas colored" Destroyah MegaMutation 11" Prototype... Tis the season after all...
And Happy New Year too, Godzilla-ites!!
Attachments

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutes 11 inch.jpg - (158.92 KiB) - Viewed 4741 times

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutes 11 inch.jpg

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutes 11 inch 2.jpg - (132.22 KiB) - Viewed 4741 times

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutes 11 inch 2.jpg
Hesei offline
Administrator

by Hesei » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:49 pm

Excellent posts! Thanks for sharing! I need to go back through my ABCs to see what some of the ideas behind the chest spikes were. I rather liked the spikes on G's legs and the scar-like chest when closed, but the rest is just so much extra. The shoulder blades especially. I'll have to get some pics of the earlier resin up here, soon.
Trendmasters offline

by Trendmasters » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:03 am

Thankx!!

I think the answers you seek lie in their label names of: "MegaMutation"...

The shoulder blades are the standout feature!! Well..., at least for me they are. Completely original take on something brand new, considering Godzilla is already a mutation, now we have a MEGA mutation, wheeeeeee............, Ha!! The reverse-able thigh spikes are brilliant in my opinion.

Ohhh my... silly me, I forgot to include a shot of all the spikes hidden on one of these figures, so here it is now. Awesome~
Attachments

TM MegaMutation Godzilla Spikes Closed.jpg - (184.49 KiB) - Viewed 4696 times

TM MegaMutation Godzilla Spikes Closed.jpg
Hesei offline
Administrator

by Hesei » Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:59 pm

Here's an earlier resin piece, without the shoulder spikes. It seems this piece, or one like it, was shown off at Toy Fair. Just wish this had made it to retail.

Second piece is the "Swiping Godzilla," not an official name. When twisted at his torso, his arms swipe up and down. He was also supposed to have a "tail swipe," but that isn't functional on this guy. He has a trigger in his spines, near the neck. That was supposed to lock and release the tail. Actually, the swiping barely works - he sorta breaks apart unless I hold the while body together. It was a pretty cool concept.
This was going to be the new Godzilla in the dinosaur sets, but they just used the old Power-up, instead. You can see this guy on the back of the Doom Island box with the dinosaurs.
There were actually supposed to be a few different sets with Godzilla vs dinosaurs, but this one was going to be two Triceratops.

The final piece is a Destroyah in the dino/armor scale. He's slightly larger than the Megamutation 6." This was going to have an alternate, "special edition" with sound, similar to an unreleased Spacegodzilla. He has something of a "streamlined" pose (using that term, lightly). It looks like he's facing up, or forward. Unlike the MM Destroyahs, this guy's feet pivot up and down on a pin, as opposed to rotating left or right in a joint. Like the MM figures, though his horn was to function as a missile. Plans also show his tail claw was to close shut with a trigger on the body. It seems this was also planned for the MM figures, but I've yet to see it in any figures.
There was also a Destroyah planned in the 6" scale. He was just a moving figure with sound, similar to the rest of the line. But despite dropping all the features, including rotating feet, it was still a surprisingly complicated figure. The design sheets are some of the most complicated I've seen for that line. No clue if it ever made it past initial sculpts.
Attachments

DSC_5463.jpg - (186.35 KiB) - Viewed 4642 times

DSC_5463.jpg

resin12inMM2.jpg - (158.03 KiB) - Viewed 4642 times

resin12inMM2.jpg

resin12inMM.jpg - (138.27 KiB) - Viewed 4642 times

resin12inMM.jpg

doomset.jpg - (181.35 KiB) - Viewed 4642 times

doomset.jpg

DSC_5567.jpg - (141.16 KiB) - Viewed 4642 times

DSC_5567.jpg

DSC_5546.jpg - (92.06 KiB) - Viewed 4642 times

DSC_5546.jpg

DSC_5574.jpg - (100.05 KiB) - Viewed 4642 times

DSC_5574.jpg

DSC_5590.jpg - (77.09 KiB) - Viewed 4642 times

DSC_5590.jpg
Trendmasters offline

by Trendmasters » Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:34 am

Love all these shots, thankx for sharing!! The unpainted RESIN Destroyah is fantastic and my favorite there!! Would have loved to see it painted up, how it would have appeared...

With the mention of Destroyah for the Doom Island line..., actually the only line they were thought for, I decided to pull out my Doom Island 4" Destroyah, also unreleased, since TM never officially released any Destroyah figures during their run, even though they appear to have had at least four different ones. Bizarre really... There would have been this 4" RESIN, the 6" & 10" MegaMutation, and your unpainted RESIN. Absolutely a shame none of these made it to retail...

I know this 4" Destroyah has now been around the block on different sites with lots of questions attached... And believe it or not, even the ex-TM employees seem to draw a blank on it, making it very difficult to pin-point what it was actually planned for, as it is NOT part of the MegaMutation line. It is RESIN and was an official Paint Master Sample Prototype, used at Toy Fair and part of the Doom Island figure line. Sadly it is missing it's left leg, due to the way these prototypes are handled at shows like Toy Fair. It used to be there, but I never saw it. It came to me devoid of the leg, which is really unfortunate, because I think it's a wicked figure all around. And it appears slightly smaller then the 5" line of Doom Island figures of course, so I think that rules out a separate carded release?? It also marks it a bit too small for Destroyah VS Dinosaurs Box Set that was planned.

I have photographed it beside one of my MegaMutation Destroyahs for a size comparison. I have kept all the MegaMutation aspects closed for this photo.

Lastly..., What I do know is, this is the very same 4" Destroyah that is the one from that tiny Toy Fair Display shot that TM put out. I have tried to match up the shot, pose & lighting bang on, to show it is indeed the same photo. I also can confirm this 4" Destroyah is also the same one that appeared in the TM ad for the "Godzilla Invasion" that had the Movie Line, Doom Island Line and Aniamted G:tS line of toys shown. On the bottom of this ad page, showed a contest to win a "Prototyped Destroyah Figure" with a photo of this very same 4" Destroyah. I also can confirm that this 4" Destroyah, also appears on the back box of the Doom Island line up.
Attachments

TM Doom Island Destoyah 4 inch Toy Fair Proto3a less.jpg - (138.91 KiB) - Viewed 4614 times

TM Doom Island Destoyah 4 inch Toy Fair Proto3a less.jpg

TM Doom Island Destoyah 4 inch Toy Fair Proto3.jpg - (156.79 KiB) - Viewed 4614 times

TM Doom Island Destoyah 4 inch Toy Fair Proto3.jpg

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutation Destroyah 6 inch & 4 Inch less.jpg - (135.32 KiB) - Viewed 4614 times

TM Godzilla Doom Island MegaMutation Destroyah 6 inch & 4 Inch less.jpg

TM Godzilla Doom Island Destroyah 4 inch RESIN Comparisons2 less.jpg - (203.44 KiB) - Viewed 4587 times

TM Godzilla Doom Island Destroyah 4 inch RESIN Comparisons2 less.jpg
Last edited by Trendmasters on Sun Jan 13, 2013 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hesei offline
Administrator

by Hesei » Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:46 pm

Very cool! Thanks for posting that! Such a cool little figure. Excellent work on the photo matching, too!

I've got another set of pics to add, too. Now this one is special... really. This is the "bondage" Spacegodzilla! ...kidding. Have to use the rubber bands to keep him together.

This is the "special edition" Spacegodzilla in the Doom Island line. This is scaled to the dino/armor sets. There were two versions of this figure. The first is very similar to the one shown here. He was to be packaged with two Ankylosaurs and sold in the dino packs like all the rest. The second is a little more iffy.

The so called "special edition" was to be electronic, using two AA batteries and have a button in the front. Unlike the way they hid the button in the Twisted Godzilla, this used the very basic "try me" button on all the rest of the figures. Now, two AA batteries? Yup! They moved away from the button cell for a new feature - LEDs! The shoulder spikes were to be molded in translucent white and have an LED at the base of each spike. There would be blue paint around the LED's mounting place to produce a blue glow. The top part of the back fins (those first four) were also to be translucent and glow the same way. Needless to say, he would glow and roar when the button was pressed.

That's not all, though. The special edition was to come with three crest missiles. Spacegodzillas crest was to be a missile tipped with the horn. The trigger was the top spike on his back. This added feature forced them to drop the hinged jaw found on the standard Spacegodzilla.

Aside from that, the figures were largely the same in terms of articulation. The only new thing in this area is that the hands had 360 degree rotation. Spacegodzilla still has a long, gorgeous tail and prominent, crystalline fins. I often say that the 10" Spacegodzilla is my favorite not only from Trendmasters, but in my entire collection. I think if this figure had made it out, he would have been a strong contender for that title.
Attachments

DSC_5616.jpg - (171.3 KiB) - Viewed 4609 times

DSC_5616.jpg

DSC_5626.jpg - (61.79 KiB) - Viewed 4609 times

DSC_5626.jpg

DSC_5634.jpg - (169.26 KiB) - Viewed 4609 times

DSC_5634.jpg